Sunday, August 16, 2015

After reading all your blogposts, doing endless amounts of research and meeting with Paul I am equal parts excited and overwhelmed. However, I feel we have all echoed that sentiment and have come up with a variety of ways to combat overwhelming ourselves and (even worse possibility) the students.

I am in the same boat as Kaitlin Sullivan and I plan to start from day one in a station rotation model. Even without the technology present yet I want to make this the norm for the class room. One station will be individual practice or perhaps partner practice. I also had a similar idea as Kaitlin in that I want to eventually have this station be the project station for the unit. The other station will be small group instruction. I voiced my concerns to Paul Griswold in our meeting that it is hard to figure out each day who should start in what station and how to break up the day for the students, especially in foreign language where many times prerequisite skills must be explicitly taught before students can learn through applying these skills. This lead me to think that maybe I will break up the week with one day being whole class instruction then the other days will be that authentic practice the students need to develop their language abilities in all four modalities. I have not quite figured out how I want to go about doing this. Paul gave good advice about making it a norm to project the two groups on the smart board so they know where to go each day.  In the first couple weeks of school once things settle down we will make expectations as a class on how to get the best learning out of the rotation schedule and practice these expectations regularly.

I've been reading a lot about once the chrome books  are in the classroom how to go about introducing all the new technology features I hope my students will come to utilize effectively. I would like to have an initial "launch day" once everything is in place. Danielle and Diana mentioned the organization of passwords and I found similar ideas on Pinterest that I plan to implement so there are no excuses.

I want to use either Edmodo or Google Classroom as my home base for the students. I don't really like Edmodo but I know how to use it and I know other teachers are using it more often so I feel the students will have a better grasp on it. I am still new to and learning about Google Classroom but from my research I feel it has more to offer. I am also hoping to have my students throughout the year developing a portfolio and I feel Google Classroom has more opportunity to do this.

I also plan on using Class Dojo which can be utilized through cell phones on an app. I really like this app because it allows you to real time (quickly and easily) keep a running record of students behavior in  class as well as tardies / absences. Once you create your class each student has a code and a parent code so everyone can be on the same page in monitoring that students progress. It also allows you to customize your feedback to the students. It's a little goofy in appearance but I think it offers a valuable tracking system that is easy to use and can be referred to at any time to help students reflect.

As far as how the stations will play out each day I have almost too many ideas and possible tools I want to use but the general idea is to get the students to be engaged and creatively demonstrate their knowledge through reading, writing, listening and speaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment