Thursday, August 13, 2015

Getting the Ball Rolling...

I love technology. I love gadgets. I secretly (now not so secretly) want the new Apple watch so that I can be alerted in four different places that I have a text message and know my heart rate. I love that I can FaceTime my sister in California and talk to my nephew who can now say my name! Technology is rad.

That being said, technology isn't always as easy.

So I am nervous.

Very nervous.

Imagine: you have created the perfect lesson plan. You have various methods of reaching ALL your students. Your lesson is aligned to the Common Core. You even have checked the amount of headphones you have.

But then three students forget their passwords. One student hasn't even signed up for the websites/system yet. And then the Internet is moving at a glacial pace.

Okay, so that's the worse case scenario. Well, maybe not the worst. But it is devastating when you have the PERFECT lesson planned.

So here are the things I am worried about.... and my plan of attack.

1. Emails: Each student needs a  Gmail. Now remembering the long ons for each of my lovely 140 s student is difficult so I was thinking of creating an online document with their usernames and passwords that I can share with other teachers on the team. And then having something like this (see below) for each class.

2. Edmodo: After/with emails I have decided to attack Edmodo. I choose this interface since it is the most like Facebook and what students seem to be able to understand the best. Plus, they don't NEED emails to create an account originally and they can connect their Google Drive later! Also, Edmodo allows assignments, videos, links to be posted so that students can access materials whenever and wherever they need them! (Plus, I've used it before! So I am more comfortable with using it again this year!) 

3. Drive: With emails and Edmodo, I want to utilize Drive. A goal for students is to have them create publishable work and also to create portfolios. And a goal as a teacher is to have various ways to give feedback. Drive will be useful to achieving all these goals! 


For each of these tools, I am anticipating having to teach how to sign up, professional emails, how to attach files, how to email, how to... 

But already I am thinking of solutions: 
  •  creating videos as well as visuals for the classroom of how to's
  • having master students in each class who can help peers
  • slowly rolling out each new technology and modeling it first 
  • utilizing the library to teach the students a new skill all at once 
  • creating a team of teachers/support staff who are all using the same technology and require the same competencies of the students 
  • using Drive to share passwords with other staff on the team 
  • being after school to help students individually 
  • utilizing the wonderful, knowledgeable peer support I have through the blended learning cohort!

Overall, I think this will be difficult. But what isn't? And after dipping my toes into the pool with all these awesome resources the past three years, I am ready to jump in. I am positive that with a little a patience the rocky first month will transform into students being able to take control of their own learning. 



2 comments:

  1. I loved reading your post! I agree - technology is something that requires a lot of up front modeling and setup. Like you, I am hopeful that once everything is running, our kids will be able to just GO! :) Also, I think we get a list of passwords with the students.hartfordschools.org emails...I think. Check with Paul on that; it would make life much easier if what I think is true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. D, don't forget that the picture you posted for passwords can be done with paint samples from Lowes.

    ReplyDelete