Friday, August 14, 2015

Ideas for logistics/implementing BL

I have many hazy ideas for my blended learning classroom and feel eager to start and try some of the ideas out. In the beginning of the school year (in little bit more than a week, ah!) I plan to start out using stations from day one. Since I feel most comfortable starting out with a rotation model of blended learning, I want students to know what is expected of them when switching stations as well as how they should be working during station time. I want to collaborate as a class to decide what these norms should be to have a productive classroom. 

Ideally, I wanted to implement three stations to truly have small group instruction. In the beginning of the year, most classes are at or exceeding 28 students. With this in mind, starting out using stations, I think it will be more manageable to have two stations. For setting up my room, I am thinking of ways to have four distinct table groups (I have lab desks in my classroom) that way the collaborating groups are still smaller, but there are only two stations to instruct and have students engaged in and not lost in the shuffle.

Once we get our computer access, my major “hub” will be edmodo where students will find their assignments, but then definitely branch off into drive and potentially Gooru (still researching/trialing out classes with this software). I am also looking forward into implementing project-based learning into my classroom and in the future would like that to be a regular station maybe a week into a new topic. 

I am looking forward for students being able to take more control over their learning but also combat some of our truancy failing students. If they are out of school but can access Wi-Fi, students will be in the know of what is going on in class (at least the online portion) and will be able to email me other information they need because ideally they will be very comfortable using gmail (hopefully if they are not truant from day one) and will be able to stay up to date and not overwhelmed when they come back.


Seeing Lauren’s reflection and speaking to Paul, I am very open to taping or recording student’s discussions. A stations focus (I am hoping/thinking) will be verbally discussing the content and working on communication, but I know that students comfort levels and confidence will take time to develop to have open group dialogue. It is super important for ELL students to discuss and use the units vocabulary to better understand the term and to feel comfortable with the content. I am looking forward to learning how to better implement this idea but I think students will really be able to grow from hearing their own ideas as well as being aware of how they sound and what they can do to improve their content knowledge and fluency in English.

No comments:

Post a Comment